Footytube.com - Latest Football Video Highlights Headline Animator

Friday, August 28, 2009

The way the world see us.

I wrote this because sometimes when I walk along Salisbury Highway, I tend to get the finger from locals driving past. Sometimes, in restaurants, the waitress loses her smile everytime she sees an Asian costumer. Months ago, attacks on Asian students was in the news every now and then. If you already hate me when you read my introduction, I suggest you to scroll down to the very bolded end.

Sometimes when I talk to my coursemates, coming from all parts of Asia, I'm just curious on how they see the world. The thing is, the way we see the world eventually correlate to the way the world see us. Us being asians. I cannot stop but wonder, how the Australians see us being people of a different skin color, different culture and different language. Special cheers to Daniel and Thomas for being so nice when the world seems to mean. I always try my best to be as polite as possible, not only just when I'm here. Even back in my country, where the racial tension is reasonably stressed. In malaysia, Chinese has a reputation of being racist. Yes, I fully vouch for that. In my years in college, I've seen verbal abuse from my kin to the our fellow countrymen. After seeing the beauty of mutual respect and tolerance in high school, I know how stupid it would be to hold grudge to a particular group of people and how wonderful it would be if we can love and respect each other. Rather than pointing out our difference, we should embrace our similarity.

I speak for my own colour, truthfully, Chinese people also is known for being cheap(Thrifty is alright, being cheap is really ugly), arrogant, proud, judgmental and cunning. This is not just how our counterpart in Malaysia see us, this is how the world see us. In my opinion, Chinese people keep on thinking that they are superior which lead to arrogance and from our rich and strong history, we know that's why we get fucked. After befriending mainland Chinese students, I kinda realised a lot from them but I try not to judge. Ever wonder why foreigners, be it, Japanese, Caucasians, Arabians or Indians despises us. Honestly, I know by pointing out our undesirable attitude won't do any good. That's why my father heavily insist on teaching and educating our family on how to respect and love. I guess he learned that during his day in Christchurch.

Deep down, I know we Chinese people can do better than that. No doubt, Chinese people are better in math and mass production but instead of boasting, we should learn how to be gracious. Slowly, we can change. History is our best teacher. Remember the opium war? Remember Marco Polo's visit? Remember the oppression of the 8 alliance and how China was beaten to the ground? History never fails. We should always learn from our mistake. I plead all Chinese people in the world to never stop loving, never judge people but accept them for they are, keep on giving rather than taking, never stop helping and be polite. I guess if we start now, generation after generation, time after time, evolution after revolution, maybe the world see us differently.

*I would wish to dedicate this to an event that made me realised how we see the world. During last CNY, I overheard my grandmother saying to the younger cousin, "If you're naughty, I'll ask an Indian to come kidnap you." Of course, she used some really "not so polite" word instead of Indian (I think you know what I mean). It's a fucking disgrace considering my best friend is an Indian whom I consider as my family. It really really upsets me.
**Besides that, back in college, I overheard how some people make fun of other races, stereotyping them and cursing them in mandarin. To those assholes, if that's how you see other people, that's how Australians sees us. Because of people like you, we are known as a bunch of racist.


post - script : For kathir, they say, we're like brothers with a different color.

Missing you,
A yellow Ang Mo Kia



If you're reading this, means you hate me. The truth is, sometimes I revolt due to boredom and random eccentricity. Either I'm paranoid, insane or just crazy about you.

1 comment:

GB= Growing Boy said...

chill...

sit down and take a cup of Ali Cafe... Cool down...
U seem like so Emo...

Lol